Alternate string quote syntaxes
- doc strings docstrings with examples could be more human readable
XML, JSON or SQL generation tests become filled with escaped quotes
- pasting JSON into a string, which could then easily have `read-json` called on it
- Writing doc strings which contain usage examples is often tedious if the example contains strings.
Python-like triple quoted strings
- relatively Relatively simple syntax, for humans and parsers
- Has already been implemented
- Would work nicely for docstrings.
- (defn foo """my docstring"""" [x] ...)
- minor Minor breaking change - """""" which is 3 empty strings would now be interpreted as only one empty string
- have Have to add reader macro
- breaking Breaking change to every other tool that reads Clojure syntax
- including Including regexp-based syntax colorers, etc.
- What about the EDN spec?
- Slightly more flexible than triple-quotes
- Addresses some of the issues mentioned in the motivation section
- More complex syntax
- Would likely not be a great fit for docstring readability.
- (defn foo <<HEREDOC hello this is a docstring HEREDOC [x] ...) for example, is pretty bad.
String Interpolation / Templating
- Without additional information about specifically what is being proposed, this is likely to be a breaking change.
- There are already many libraries available to do this.
- Does not directly address docstring readability.
- is Is the built-in format function enough?
- Not for docstrings.
- In the case of XML, JSON, and SQL generation tests (as mentioned in the Motivation section) it can still be rather difficult to read.
- Already exists
- Is a well established pattern in the community for reading configuration files
- Separate file for each string
- Can't use for macro-interpreted things like doc strings
- In tests, having the test data separate from the test itself is hard to read
- Does not address readability of docstrings in source.
- Does not address SQL, JSON, XML, etc. generation tests.
- In general, does not address the problems outline in the motivation section of this document.