By far the biggest task is approving messages for new posters. Things to remember:
- click through and read the message, don't just assume non-spam from the title
- mark obvious spam as spam
- if you aren't sure if something is appropriate for the list, leave it in unmoderated and ping Stu or Rich
- if the tone of a message is sliding from "tech discussion" toward "personal attack", leave the message unmoderated and ping Stu or Rich
Approving New Members
Posts from new members go in the moderation queue (see above). This continues for some time until Google magically decides the person no longer needs moderation. This can be frustrating for new members. If you see a person make several sensible posts in a row and they are still being moderated, go ahead and click on their name and set them to "no moderation needed".
- The web UI is slow, and requires more clicking around than I would like. Any efficiency tips here, or API wrappers (if such exist) would be welcome.