<< Back to previous view

[CLJS-418] Unspecified dependency on google-closure-library-third-party Created: 16/Nov/12  Updated: 27/Jul/13  Resolved: 16/Feb/13

Status: Closed
Project: ClojureScript
Component/s: None
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None

Type: Defect Priority: Major
Reporter: Stuart Sierra Assignee: Stuart Sierra
Resolution: Completed Votes: 3
Labels: None

Attachments: Text File 0001-CLJS-418-closure-r0.0-2029-2-specifies-dependency-on.patch    


Temporary fix to this issue: Add the G.Closure Library third-party extensions as a project dependency.

;; In :dependencies vector of Leiningen's project.clj
[org.clojure/google-closure-library-third-party "0.0-2029"]

We currently distribute the Google Closure Library in two separate JARs: the main library and the third-party extensions. We do this because the third-party extensions are covered by different licenses.

But, as it turns out, various classes in the main library have explicit dependencies on things in the third-party extensions. See See also this G.Closure mailing list discussion.

As a result, the ClojureScript browser-connected REPL has a transitive dependency on the Google Closure Library third-party extensions. This manifests as an error in script/cljsc and a NullPointerException in lein-cljsbuild.

See the initial Clojure-dev mailing list discussion and discussion of this ticket.

See also lein-cljsbuild issue #155.

It seems that the dependency on third-party extensions is unavoidable. There are several possible fixes:

1. Release a new G.Closure Library JAR with a declared dependency on the third-party extensions JAR. This best reflects the actual dependency relationships.

2. Release a new G.Closure Library JAR with the third-party extensions included in the JAR. This would make it harder to exclude the third-party-licensed code from projects which do not actually require it.

3. Release a new version of ClojureScript with a declared dependency on the third-party extensions JAR. This makes the dependency more visible to ClojureScript developers.

Regardless of the approach taken, developers can always use explicit dependencies/exclusions to choose which version of the G.Closure library to include in their projects.

Comment by Herwig Hochleitner [ 04/Dec/12 7:10 PM ]

Attached patch implements option 1

The generated closure-library depends on the old clojure-library-third-party.
Still, I would recommend releasing the -2 version of third-party too, in case someone includes third-party by c&p the library version.

Comment by Evan Mezeske [ 16/Dec/12 8:29 PM ]

I added a workaround for this so that I can release lein-cljsbuild without breaking every single project that uses it: https://github.com/emezeske/lein-cljsbuild/issues/163 .

I would like to revert this workaround ASAP. I'm going to do a bad job of maintaining the right version of the third party libraries, and it will cause problems down the road.

Comment by Chas Emerick [ 27/Jan/13 5:37 PM ]

Option 1 is proper, 3 is acceptable. Any solution will do though; drove myself nuts with this today for longer than I'd like to admit before I discovered this ticket.

Comment by David Nolen [ 27/Jan/13 5:41 PM ]

Is everyone cool with option 1? It would be nice to resolve this one soon as people are running into non-working browser REPLs.

Comment by MichaƂ Marczyk [ 27/Jan/13 7:29 PM ]

+1 for option 1.

Comment by Stuart Sierra [ 03/Feb/13 3:50 PM ]

Deployed new version of Google Closure library to Sonatype OSS today. Please try it out.

[org.clojure/google-closure-library "0.0-2029-2"]

This release declares an explicit dependency from google-closure-library on google-closure-library-third-party (Option 1 in the ticket description).

It will be available in the Maven Central repository within 24 hours. Until then, you can get it from the Sonatype repository with these instructions:

If it works, we can update the ClojureScript POM to depend on it.


Comment by Stuart Sierra [ 16/Feb/13 2:59 PM ]

pom.template updated in commit f2e0d9050a1b

Generated at Sun Oct 22 01:39:44 CDT 2017 using JIRA 4.4#649-r158309.